Muzeum Fryderyka Chopina is a museum in Warsaw, Poland dedicated to the great composer Fryderyk Chopin. It was established in 1953. The museum covers the history and works of Chopin, including original manuscripts and documents written by the composer, photographs and sculptures of him, letters, as well as hosting piano recitals and competitions of Chopin’s works.
Frédéric François Chopin (Polish: Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin) 22 February or 1 March 1810 – 17 October 1849) was a Polish composer, virtuoso pianist, and music teacher of French–Polish parentage. He was one of the great masters of Romantic music and has been called “the poet of the piano“.
The National Museum (Polish: Muzeum Narodowe w Warszawie) in Warsaw, Poland, is a national institution of culture, one of the largest museums in Poland and the largest in Warsaw. It comprise a rich collection of ancient art (Egyptian, Greek, Roman), counting about 11.000 pieces, an extensive gallery of Polish painting since the 16th century and a collection of foreign painting (Italian, French, Dutch, German and Russian). The museum is also home to numismatic collections and a gallery of applied arts.
- Muzeum w Nieborowie i Arkadii
- Muzeum Plakatu w Wilanowie
- Muzeum Rzeźby im. X. Dunikowskiego w Królikarni
- Muzeum Wnętrz w Otwocku Wielkim
Warsaw’s Old Town (Polish: Stare Miasto, colloquially: Starówka) is the oldest historic district of the city. It is bounded by Wybrzeże Gdańskie, along the bank of the Vistula, and by Grodzka, Mostowa and Podwale Streets. It is one of Warsaw’s most prominent tourist attractions.
The heart of the area is the Old Town Market Place (Rynek Starego Miasta), with its restaurants, cafés and shops. Surrounding streets feature medieval architecture such as the city walls, the Barbican and St. John’s Cathedral. Part of the Old Town are also the Castle Square (plac Zamkowy) with the Royal Castle as well the Canon Square (plac Kanonia), just behind the St. John’s Cathedral (as seen on the right).
The Warsaw Uprising Museum (Polish: Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego), located in the district of Wola in Warsaw, Poland, is a museum dedicated to the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. The institution of the Museum was established in 1983, but no construction work took place for many years, and the museum finally opened on July 31, 2004, marking the 60th anniversary of the Uprising.
The Museum sponsors research into the history of the Uprising, and the history and possessions of the Polish Underground State. It collects and maintains hundreds of artifacts, ranging from weapons used by the insurgents to love letters, in order to present a full picture of the people involved. The Museum’s stated goals include the creation of an archive of historical information on the Uprising and the recording of the stories and memories of the still living Uprising participants.
Powązki Cemetery (Polish: Cmentarz Powązkowski), also known as the Stare Powązki (English: Old Powązki) is a historic cemetery located in the Wola district, western part of Warsaw, Poland. It is the most famous cemetery in the city, and one of the oldest. Found here are the graves of many illustrious individuals from Polish history, including those interred along the “Avenue of Notables” (Aleja Zasłużonych) established in 1925.
A few of the notables buried here are:
- Jan Kiliński (1760–1819), the leader of the 1794 Warsaw Insurrection,
- Wojciech Bogusławski (1757-1829), theater director and playwright,
- Stanisław Konarski (1700-1173), educational reformer,
- Hugo Kołłątaj (1750-1812), Enlightment era politician and publicist,
- Bolesław Prus (1847-1912), director and writer,
- Władysław Reymont (1867-1925), Noble Prize winning writer,
- Leopold Staff (1878-1957), poet,
- Maria Dąbrowska (1889-1965), writer
The Royal Castle in Warsaw (Polish: Zamek Królewski w Warszawie) is a castle residency and was the official residence of the Polish monarchs. It is located in the Castle Square, at the entrance to the Warsaw Old Town. The personal offices of the king and the administrative offices of the Royal Court of Poland were located there from the 16th century until the Partitions of Poland. In its long history the Royal Castle was repeatedly devastated and plundered by Swedish, Brandenburgian, German, and Russian armies.
The Constitution of 3 May 1791 (of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth) was drafted here by the Four-Year Sejm. In the 19th century, after the collapse of the November Uprising, it was used as an administrative center by the Tsar. Between 1926 and World War II the palace was the seat of the Polish president, Ignacy Mościcki. After the devastation done by Nazis during the Warsaw Uprising, the Castle was rebuilt and reconstructed. In 1980, Royal Castle, together with the Old Town was registry in UNESCO World Heritage Site. Today it is a historical and national monument, and is listed as a national museum
Copernicus Science Centre (Polish: Centrum Nauki Kopernik) is a science museum standing on the bank of the Vistula River in Warsaw. It contains over 450 interactive exhibits that enable visitors to single-handedly carry out experiments and discover the laws of science for themselves. The Centre is the largest institution of its type in Poland and one of the most advanced in Europe.
The Copernicus Science Centre building has been erected on the bank of the Vistula River in the very heart of Warsaw (the corner of Wybrzeże Kościuszkowskie and Zajęcza streets, above the Wisłostrada tunnel). The building design was developed by young Polish architects from the firm RAr-2 in Ruda Śląska, who won an architectural competition for the Copernicus Science Centre facility in December 2005
The permanent exhibition in the Copernicus Science Centre consists of over 400 interactive exhibits. The exhibition is divided into six sections concerning various fields of knowledge:
- On the Move
- Humans and the Environment
- Buzzz! – gallery for preschool children
- Roots of Civilization
- RE: Generation – gallery for young adults